Are you ready to join a dynamic, dedicated team at one of Chicago’s top museums?
Do you have at least 5 years experience in nonprofit accounting, including public accounting?
Are you a dynamic leader with 2+ years experience supervising accounting staff?
Do you get excited about science and outer space?
We are currently in search of an Accounting Manager for the Adler Planetarium. The position is based in Chicago, IL. This is a permanent, full-time assignment.
ORGANIZATION TYPE: Adler Planetarium
LOCATION: Chicago, IL
POSITION TITLE: Accounting Manager
Is This Your Dream Job?
The Accounting Manager will play a crucial role in overseeing the core accounting for the Adler Planetarium. Responsibilities include monthly financial close, general ledger, reviewing account reconciliations, audit preparation, reviewing payroll, process improvements, etc. This role reports to the Controller and oversees 3 direct reports: Senior Accountant/Analyst, Staff Accountant and Accounting Specialist. Our client offers a dynamic work environment, work/life balance and the chance to join a dedicated and enthusiastic team.
- Medical, Dental and Vision insurance, etc.
- 403(b) with matching
Our Ideal Candidate:
- At least 5 years experience in nonprofit accounting required, additional experience in public accounting strongly preferred
- 2+ years experience supervising accounting staff required
- Bachelors degree in Accounting required
- CPA strongly preferred
- Previous experience preparing financial statements, overseeing financial close and audits, reconciliation, preparing journal entries, and reviewing payroll required
- Experience with a system conversion, a plus
- Experience working with accounting for federal grants, A-133 audits
- Policy and procedure improvement experience
- Working knowledge of Great Plains strongly preferred, as well as experience in ADP Workforce Now and FRX
- Proven strength with Microsoft Excel
- Excellent communication and analytical skills, high energy, smart thinker, uses common sense, problem-solver
How You Will Spend Your Day:
- Managing financial close and preparation of financial statements
- Maintaining general ledger, financial reports, account reconciliations
- Supervising the Senior Accountant/Analyst, Staff Accountant and Accounting Specialist
- Reviewing and submitting payroll, collaborating with HR and Development offices
- Identifying and implementing process improvements in financial reporting, accounts payable and receivable; this role will be a crucial part of a general ledger system conversion in the next year
- Coordinating audits and preparations
- Overseeing federal grant accounting and reporting
- Working closely with the Controller, practicing high level of confidentiality
We’d love to hear from you.
If this sounds like the job for you, we would love to help make that happen. Please submit a resume to email@example.com with “Accounting Manager” in the subject line.
Know a friend who would be a great fit? Feel free to send us their resume as well.
Due to the high volume of applications we receive, we regretfully can only respond to those candidates who best meet the requirements of a specific position or whose backgrounds are generally applicable to our client base. Please rest assured that we retain all candidate information for possible future matches, even if you do not hear from us in regard to your application in response to this ad.