Do you have experience teaching and providing career guidance to adults? Are you passionate about creating an engaging, motivating environment for adult learners? Do you have strong communication and teaching skills?
We are currently in search of an Adult Learning Specialist for a Social Service Organization. The position is based in San Francisco, CA. This is a permanent opportunity.
ORGANIZATION TYPE: Social Service
LOCATION: San Francisco, CA
POSITION TITLE: Adult Learning Specialist
SALARY: $28.85/hour, non-exempt (~$60K/year)
Is This Your Dream Job? The Adult Learning Specialist provides instruction to participants in basic skills, such as reading, writing, and speaking English. The Specialist will also support adult learners in attaining a high school diploma or GED, as well as set both education and career goals with the participants. The specialist will report to a Senior Manager of Learning and Development and work with staff in the Programs and HR department.
• Health, dental, and vision insurance
• Retirement savings plan
• Vacation and sick/personal leave
• Professional development
• Opportunity to gain certificates and licenses relevant to adult learning
Our Ideal Candidate:
• Bachelor’s degree in Education, Social Work, Counseling, Social Service, Psychology, or related field
• 1-3 years working with socially or economically marginalized families
• Experience working in a community based social service organization
• Ability to resolve conflict and handle difficult situations
• Ability to prioritize work and multi-task within specific timelines
• Adhere to professional boundaries and standards
• Demonstrated knowledge of various learning techniques
• Ability to select and use training methods that are appropriate for the situation and student
• Excellent interpersonal skills
• Handle pressure and manage stress effectively in a demanding work environment
• Commitment to learning and working respectfully with others
How You Will Spend Your Day:
▪ Create and teach lessons to participants, helping them meet their professional and educational goals
▪ Understand and assess participants’ strengths and weaknesses around their learning skills and styles
▪ Monitor, track and enter notes describing participant’s progress into database system on a regular basis
▪ Follow all laws and requirements regarding confidentiality and professional ethics
▪ Help to develop professional skills to help students prepare for entering the workplace
▪ Work with participants individually to motivate, challenge them, and help them overcome obstacles
▪ Connect participants to internal and external resources, such as job placement services and mental health support
▪ Learn and implement new teaching methodologies
We’d love to hear from you.
If this sounds like the job for you, we would love to help make that happen. Please submit a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Adult Learning Specialist” in the subject line.
Know a friend who would be a great fit? Feel free to send us their resume as well.
Is this position not a great fit?
For more information about Careers In Nonprofits and our other available opportunities and workshops, please visit our website at www.careersinnonprofits.com.
Due to the high volume of applications we receive, we regretfully can only respond to those candidates who best meet the requirements of a specific position or whose backgrounds are generally applicable to our client base. Please rest assured that we retain all candidate information for possible future matches, even if you do not hear from us in regard to your application in response to this ad.