Do you have demonstrated excellence in team management and writing for a business environment?
Do you thrive in a high-pressure, fast-paced work culture?
Would you consider yourself a flexible, motivated self-starter?
We are currently in search of a Business Development Manager for a national consulting firm. This is a full-time, permanent assignment based in Downtown Chicago, IL.
ORGANIZATION TYPE: National Consulting Firm
LOCATION: Downtown Chicago IL
POSITION TITLE: Business Development Manager
DURATION: Full-Time, Permanent
SALARY: 55,000 – 65,000
Is This Your Dream Job?
The Business Development Manager (BDM) is responsible for the creation and editing of proposals for new business and sales presentations, well as assessing market opportunities and developing strategies to generate business leads in concert with in-house consultants. They are responsible for tracking the complete proposal lifecycle, reporting on trends, identifying growth opportunities, and optimizing processes. They also perform all job functions of a Business Development Writer, focused on Executive proposals. This role supervises two Business Development Writers and the Marketing Analytics Specialist, and reports to the Chief Client Officer.
Our client embodies a high-performance culture. They are client-centric and committed to responding swiftly to client needs. It is a challenging environment and they seek intelligent, self-motivated individuals who are achievement-oriented. Our client serves numerous sectors including Higher Education, Academic Healthcare, Independent Schools, Arts and Culture, and selected institutions in human services and national and global charities.
Our Ideal Candidate:
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in Marketing, Business, Communications, or similar discipline.
- 4+ years of proposal-writing and business development experience required, preferably in a professional services firm.
- Well-informed in proposal writing, team management, research, and information management
- Experience developing and leading teams, analyzing complex situations and information
- Superior written and verbal communications skills, coupled with highly developed interpersonal skills
- A self-starter with demonstrated ability to effectively work toward multiple priorities in a fast-paced, deadline driven work environment
- Flexibility and a willingness to handle new and different tasks, take direction well, support and be responsive to the needs of senior consultants, and be a good team player.
- Able to provide strategic direction through leadership, effectively collaborate with staff
- Comfortable adapting to changing priorities and able to function well with ambiguity
- Experience managing data in systems
- Innovative, creative and results-driven.
- Ability to quickly grasp complex concepts and express them in clear language.
- Interest in working with organizations in the non-profit sector; experience in non-profit a plus.
How You Will Spend Your Day:
- Oversees proposal team inbox; assigns new proposals as they come in with help from CCO as needed
- Tracks BD team workflow and availability; tracks all team deadlines
- Supervises scoping process and proposal revenue tracking
- Leads weekly team meetings with writers and Marketing Analytics Specialist
- Leads weekly 1:1 meetings with each writer and Marketing Analytics Specialist
- Point person for Proposal Team interface with Finance team; manages Finance team requests and changes in policy or process related to the fee matrix
- Works with team and leadership to set up long term projects and address process concerns
- Steward of proposal templates, core language, presentation templates and samples, report templates, and fee matrix template
- Coordinates with other team members to set up team assistance with other client-facing materials
- Coordinates BD team assistance with other firm writing needs
- Supervises CRM maintenance and data entry by Marketing Analytics Specialist and Business Development Writers
- Together with CCO, communicates changes in process and other information to Senior Leadership Council and entire firm as appropriate
- Onboards new staff and consultants
The Marketing Analytics Specialist pulls data for weekly and monthly proposal pipeline reports, as well as other reports for the firm. The BDM reviews most reports, with particular focus and responsibility around the proposal pipeline reports.
- Works with Marketing Analytics Specialist to produce weekly and monthly pipeline reports
- Reviews reports for accuracy and fields stakeholder feedback and questions
- Facilitates requested changes in report format and content
- Follows up with Finance and BD team regarding CRM accuracy and issues related to opportunity and revenue reporting
- As requested, reviews individual practice area tracking documents for discrepancies with CRM reporting
The BDM serves as the third writer on the proposal team, which typically involves handling all Executive proposals as well as other proposals as needed. The below list indicates the job responsibilities of a BD Writer (shared by BDM).
- Partner with consultants to produce high-quality business proposals and sales presentations
- Collaborate with consultants to produce white papers, blog posts, case studies, and other thought leadership pieces
- Write and edit content for web site, ads, and other marketing collaterals
- Write, edit, and/or update consultant and staff biographies
- Help maintain the historical client list and consultants’ individual client lists
- Support production of client-facing publications
- Partner with project managers and consulting associates to produce high-quality, error-free reports and other client deliverables
- Conduct research on prospective client institutions and key personnel
We’d love to hear from you.
If this sounds like the job for you, we would love to help make that happen. Please submit a resume, cover letter, and writing sample to email@example.com with “Business Development Manager” in the subject line.
Know a friend who would be a great fit? Feel free to send us their resume as well.
Due to the high volume of applications we receive, we regretfully can only respond to those candidates who best meet the requirements of a specific position or whose backgrounds are generally applicable to our client base. Please rest assured that we retain all candidate information for possible future matches, even if you do not hear from us in regard to your application in response to this ad.