Are you an exceptional writer with strong project management skills?
Do you thrive in a fast-paced, complex work environment?
Have you worked in donor relations or prospecting?
We are currently in search of a Development Associate for a Higher Education Institution. The position is based in Chicago, IL. This is a permanent, full-time assignment.
ORGANIZATION TYPE: Higher Education Institution
LOCATION: Chicago, IL
POSITION TITLE: Development Associate
SALARY: $53,000 – 58,000
Is This Your Dream Job?
The Development Associate will assist the organization’s fundraising team in identifying prospects, expanding the pool of prospective donors by prioritizing and further refining data mining results, and participating in outreach events. S/He will build relationships and implement strategies to keep donors and prospective donors involved and informed of ongoing projects and programs. This individual will coordinate cultivation visits, write timely and strategic correspondence to advance relationships, and assist in developing fundraising proposals with the Communications team. They will also research and prepare stewardship reports for donors, support volunteer and auxiliary groups, and assist with annual business planning.
Our client is a well–organized, prestigious university in the Chicagoland area. It is heavily metrics driven with a wide range of groundbreaking research and academic programs.
Our Ideal Candidate:
- At least 1 year of nonprofit development, public relations, marketing or communications experience required
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent project management skills
- Highly organized with a commitment to flexibility and initiative
- Professional experience in a university setting or similarly complex institution preferred
- Well-versed in MS Office Suite
- Able to travel and attend evening and weekend functions when necessary
How You Will Spend Your Day:
- Facilitating, organizing, and executing fundraising activities primarily for a team of up to seven individuals
- Managing logistics and preparing strategic interactions aimed at qualifying, soliciting, and stewarding the organization’s highest level donors and prospects
- Driving strategy and next-steps following visits
- Facilitating internal meetings and fundraiser visits with current and prospective donors
- Remaining current on programs, events, engagement opportunities and diverse research priorities of the organization
- Preparing briefing documents to prepare participants in cultivation, solicitation, and recognition visits
- Writing briefings, proposals, and a broad spectrum of fundraising materials created for specific audiences such as a donor or prospective donor, family foundation, corporation, or volunteer solicitor
- Drafting acknowledgements, special greetings, letters for cultivation purposes, and a high volume of messaging for others’ signatures including Leadership personnel
- Acting as a project manager for proposals and other written documents, coordinating with the Marketing and Communications team
- Managing a portfolio of donors who are in stewardship for principal gifts
- Collaborating with fundraisers to advance giving strategies
- Coordinating recognition and stewardship with the Donor Relations team
- Performing basic prospect research that informs briefings, strategy, proposals and solicitations
- Participating in visits as is appropriate for the donor or prospect
- Managing a donor database of prospective donor activity and interests
We’d love to hear from you.
If this sounds like the job for you, we would love to help make that happen. Please submit a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Development Associate” in the subject line.
Know a friend who would be a great fit? Feel free to send us their resume as well.
Due to the high volume of applications we receive, we regretfully can only respond to those candidates who best meet the requirements of a specific position or whose backgrounds are generally applicable to our client base. Please rest assured that we retain all candidate information for possible future matches, even if you do not hear from us in regard to your application in response to this ad.