Are you an established Development professional who thrives in transitional environments?
Do you have experience building and growing a Development/Fundraising department?
Does your portfolio include a solid track record of securing $25K+ corporate and foundation gifts?
We are currently in search of a Director of Development for Step Up. This is a full-time, permanent assignment based in Downtown Chicago, IL.
ORGANIZATION: Step Up
LOCATION: Downtown Chicago, IL
POSITION TITLE: Director of Development
DURATION: Full-Time, Permanent
SALARY: 80,000 – 100,000
Is This Your Dream Job?
The Director of Development will help forge new relationships to increase Step Up’s visibility, impact and financial resources. In conjunction with the VP of Development, the Director of Development will design and implement a comprehensive plan for developing key external alliances by cultivating individual and philanthropic support. S/He will have primary responsibility for establishing and implementing the strategy & infrastructure needed to grow the Step Up Chicago budget from $650K to $1.4mil by 2020 through the solicitation of major gifts, special events, and corporate and foundation support. This position will also help support the local execution of national fundraising partnerships. The Director of Development will report directly to the regional Managing Director with a dotted line reporting relationship to the national VP of Development, and s/he will have 2 direct reports.
Step Up is a national nonprofit membership organization whose mission it is to propel girls from under-resourced communities to fulfill their potential by empowering them to become confident, college-bound, career-focused, and ready to join the next generation of professional women. They work with teen girls in their partner high schools to deliver a robust curriculum of after-school, weekend, and summer activities.
Step up leverages their professional women members who give back as donors, mentors and volunteers, to make local communities and the Step Up programs a success.
Step Up is currently serving 1,000 girls annually. They are in the midst of executing an exciting strategic plan focused on scaling their impact dramatically, with the goal of having served 12,000 girls nationally in six cities by 2020.
Our Ideal Candidate:
- 7+ years of Development experience with increasing responsibility and success required
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred
- Experience successfully soliciting corporate gifts of $25K+ required
- Grant writing and management of $25K+ corporate and foundation grants required
- Experience cultivating, stewarding and soliciting individual gifts of at least $5K
- Previous management of teams required; experience building a Development team preferred
- Special event fundraising experience preferred
- Annual and multi-year strategic planning experience required
- Experience fundraising for underserved communities, education, SEL, women & girls, and/or mentorship strongly preferred
- Strong leader who thrives during change and transitional environments
- Excellent judgment and creative problem solving skills
- Interest in and ability to contribute to an environment of inclusion and belonging through experience, knowledge, and skills
- Strong mentoring, coaching experience to a team with diverse levels of expertise
- “Doer,” Entrepreneurial team player who can multitask
- Self-reliant, good problem solver, results oriented
- Exceptional written, oral, interpersonal, and presentation skills and the ability to effectively interface with senior management, Step Up’s board of directors, and staff
- Ability to operate as an effective tactical as well as strategic thinker
- CRM/donor database experience required; Salesforce preferred
- Committed to improving the life experiences and outcomes for all women and teen girls
How You Will Spend Your Day:
Strategy, Vision and Leadership
- Define, develop, implement and prioritize short-term and long-term development goals in Chicago in support of the Strategic Plan while ensuring that efforts carried out are keeping with the organization’s mission, vision and values.
- Advise the regional staff on best practices and significant developments and trends in philanthropy and adapt fundraising strategies as necessary.
- Serve as the fundraising liaison to the Chicago board, effectively communicate and present strategic development efforts at select board of directors and committee meetings.
- Ensure regional staff is utilizing the systems and processes in place for tracking and reporting on fundraising efforts.
- Oversee, direct, and organize the work of 2 direct reports, the Membership/Individual Giving Manager and Development/Events Manager
- Promote a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality.
- Ensure staff members receive timely and appropriate training and development.
- Lead, mentor and develop staff using a supportive and collaborative approach: assign accountabilities; set objectives; establish priorities; and monitor and evaluate results.
- Ensure consistent & appropriate stewardship and acknowledgement of donors.
- Identify, cultivate, steward and solicit a personal portfolio of current and new funding sources and opportunities for individual, foundation and corporate donors and prospects with an emphasis on personally raising a minimum of more than $1 million in 3 years.
- Ensure the local fundraising strategy is being executed in alignment with the national strategic plan; execute national partnerships locally
- Manage the regional grant calendar (application & reporting deadlines) in addition to identifying, cultivating and applying for grants
A successful Director of Development will achieve the following outcomes over the next few years:
- Actively work with the VP, Development to develop and implement a comprehensive development strategy in support of Step Up’s Strategic Plan – to include efforts around corporate and foundation funding, individual giving and special events
- Be personally responsible for raising a minimum of $350,000 in the first year and increasing local fundraising dollars by a minimum of 20% a year through 2020
We’d love to hear from you.
If this sounds like the job for you, we would love to help make that happen. Please submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Director of Development – Step Up” in the subject line.
Know a friend who would be a great fit? Feel free to send us their resume as well.
Due to the high volume of applications we receive, we regretfully can only respond to those candidates who best meet the requirements of a specific position or whose backgrounds are generally applicable to our client base. Please rest assured that we retain all candidate information for possible future matches, even if you do not hear from us in regard to your application in response to this ad.