Are you passionate about helping low-income residents of San Francisco? Do you have 10+ years of legal experience? Have you successfully managed a legal staff? Do you have the people skills to interact with people from all walks of life, including marginalized individuals and high-level donors?
We are currently in search of a Director of Legal Services for a Membership Organization. The position is based in San Francisco, CA. This is a permanent full-time assignment.
ORGANIZATION TYPE: Membership Organization
LOCATION: San Francisco, CA
POSITION TITLE: Director of Legal Services
Is This Your Dream Job? As the Director of Legal Services reporting to the Executive Director, you will be responsible for overseeing and managing all aspects of the organization’s legal services. By overseeing the training and recruiting of volunteer attorneys and law students, you will play a key role in helping low-income residents of San Francisco obtain direct legal representation.
- Medical, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance
- Paid holidays and time off
- Progressive work environment
- Pretax commuter benefits
Our Ideal Candidate:
- 10+ years of legal experience
- Good standing with California Bar
- Experience managing employees
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to comfortably interact with all walks of life: Judges, low-income clients, court staff, and high-level donors
- Ability to multi-task in a deadline-driven environment
- Experience in housing, family, and consumer law
- Demonstrable commitment to helping marginalized communities, especially in the Bay Area
- Ability to juggle multiple projects at once
How You Will Spend Your Day:
- Work with Executive Director in creating and implementing a vision for the department and organization
- Work closely with Program Directors on various joint legal projects
- Provide legal advice to local community nonprofit organizations
- Assist clients experiencing homelessness, poverty, eviction, and other difficult circumstances
- Supervise department’s attorneys and support staff
- Oversee all of the programs legal initiatives, ensuring they are meeting the needs of the community being served
- Recruit and train volunteer attorneys to serve indigent clients
- Manage departmental budget and financial goals
- Partner with other departments and staff to ensure program is effective and community needs are being met
- Manage compliance with government grants and contracts
- Meet with key stakeholders and donors to communicate outcome and impact over program
- Represent the organization at events, both at local and national level
- Oversee legal referral clinic
We’d love to hear from you.
If this sounds like the job for you, we would love to help make that happen. Please submit a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Legal Services Director” in the subject line.
Know a friend who would be a great fit? Feel free to send us their resume as well.
Is this position not a great fit?
For more information about Careers In Nonprofits and our other available opportunities and workshops, please visit our website at www.careersinnonprofits.com.
Due to the high volume of applications we receive, we regretfully can only respond to those candidates who best meet the requirements of a specific position or whose backgrounds are generally applicable to our client base. Please rest assured that we retain all candidate information for possible future matches, even if you do not hear from us in regard to your application in response to this ad.