Are you a dedicated and hardworking professional with a passion for development?
We are currently in search of a National Gift Officer for an Association. The position is based in Washington, DC. This is a full-time, temporary to permanent assignment.
ORGANIZATION TYPE: Advocacy
LOCATION: Washington, DC
POSITION TITLE: National Gift Officer
DURATION: Temporary to Permanent
HOURLY PAY: $20-24/hour
Is This Your Dream Job? The National Gift Officer is responsible for coordinating the full range of activities required to prepare, submit and manage grant proposals. They work as part of the Development team to accomplish Association goals. The National Gift Officer follows up with grantors to determine/monitor grant status. Provides strategic support to the development team in terms of grants and corporate giving; researches and write grants; builds donor relationships with foundations and government agencies in support of funding needs.
Our Ideal Candidate:
- Bachelor’s Degree in communication or business preferred
- 5 or more years of nonprofit sector experience, preferably working in a USG or other donor funded project
- Salesforce experience desired
- Successful track record of experience with foundation fundraising, including the creation and solicitation of high-value sponsorship opportunities with significant fundraising appeals to major corporations and corporate leaders. Demonstrated experience in providing staff support for board members in solicitations.
- Extensive knowledge of fundraising principles, including the techniques and practices of garnering individual, corporation and foundation support.
- Experience working in a fast-paced, results-oriented environment while maintaining high personal standards for the quality of output.
- Considerable people management skills; capable of acting as leader, advisor, mentor, and coach
- Demonstrative abilities in collaborative team building and consensus
- Significant business and stakeholder relationship building experience
- Significant communication skills in written and verbal formats; showcases clear and concise manner
- Strong relationship development and negotiating skills; able to earn respect and trust among internal and external business partners
How You Will Spend Your Day:
- Assists VP, Development to accomplish departmental goals
- Research and Identify a portfolio of 100+ prospects encompassing primarily foundation donors, but also government grants with annual funding potential between $10,000 and $500,000.
- Develop and execute an annual strategy for assigned portfolio to rapidly move prospects from identification, to cultivation, to solicitation, to close.
- Monitors progress against goals established for this individual’s prospect portfolio and prepare monthly report to the VP, Development.
- Operate as a public representative in the foundation community in order to identify and cultivate potential corporate donors.
- Prepare fundraising and grant applications that are tailored to the particular interests of potential foundation donors and are customized to meet their philanthropic goals.
- Prepare and meticulously execute annually, a plan to cultivate and solicit top prospects
- Act as a liaison with the VP, Development in order to establish and maintain strong relationships with assigned prospects.
- Work with staff leadership and volunteers as needed in prospect development and the solicitation/ cultivation of major gift prospects within assigned industry.
- Ensure proposal process represents mission diligence and quality in all writing.
- Produce accurate activity and prospecting reports as needed.
- Works on special projects and other duties as required helping to promote department’s success.
- Support and contribute to the prospect management process and ensure compliance.
- Attend and staff if necessary, appropriate Foundation events, programs and meetings.
- Responsible for budgeting, planning and forecasting revenue in conjunction with the VP, Development
- Perform other duties as assigned.
We’d love to hear from you.
If this sounds like the job for you, we would love to help make that happen. Please submit a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “National Gift Officer” in the subject line.
Know a friend who would be a great fit? Feel free to send us their resume as well!
Is this position not a great fit?
For more information about Careers In Nonprofits and our other available opportunities and workshops, please visit our website at www.careersinnonprofits.com.
Due to the high volume of applications we receive, we regretfully can only respond to those candidates who best meet the requirements of a specific position or whose backgrounds are generally applicable to our client base. Please rest assured that we retain all candidate information for possible future matches, even if you do not hear from us in regard to your application in response to this ad.