Do you have 10+ years of experience in creation and execution of fundraising strategies and meeting annual fundraising goals? Do you have experience with and a passion for the environment and/or conservation? Are you energetic, a strategist, and goal-oriented?
We are currently in search of a Senior Director of Foundations Relations for an international conservation organization. The position is based in Alexandria, VA. This is a full-time, permanent position.
ORGANIZATION TYPE: Conservation Organization
LOCATION: Alexandria, VA
POSITION TITLE: Senior Director of Foundations Relations
DURATION: Fulltime/ Permanent
Is This Your Dream Job?
Seeking a highly skilled strategist, manager, and fundraiser to serve as Senior Director of Foundation Relations. The Senior Director serves as a key member of the Development departmental leadership team, working with colleagues on joint strategies to support a collaborative, holistic and cohesive fundraising environment.
The Senior Director of Foundation Relations creates and implements successful foundation fundraising strategies to meet annual fundraising goals. The Senior Director is responsible for oversight of $10M annual budget, and is expected to grow proportionately as the organization’s budget grows. The Senior Director develops and maintains relationships with key funders and identifies and seeks out new funding opportunities; personally, handles a portfolio of key foundations and prospects; leads a team of two; assists Development Department leadership with strategic planning and departmental administration; and works closely with the CEO, Chief Development Officer, program staff, communications staff, and board members to develop and implement strategies for meeting revenue goals.
Strategic Direction, Management and Administration
- Set goals for and direct a centralized grants program to increase foundation support for programs
- Participate in program strategy groups and develop goals, objectives, and strategies for cultivating foundation supporters
- Collaborate with the Board of Trustees, Council, President, Senior Leadership, program staff, development officers, and foundation staff to deepen and expand relationships with key foundations
- Develop strategies as well as policies and procedures in collaboration with development directors
- Collaborate with interdepartmental teams on goal development and work products
- Supervise a team of two to ensure high-quality proposals and budgets, provide training to the foundations team, and ensure that open lines of communication exist between foundations, writing staff, and program staff
- Recruit and hire qualified candidates who fit position requirements and the work environment
- Set clear team direction that aligns with strategy, mission, and vision
- Develop staff by providing career development opportunities with appropriate training, encouragement, and supervision
- Provide staff with performance feedback and act as a coach and mentor
- Promote inclusive work environment for team and model inclusive behavior
- Develop and track annual work plan for the Foundation Relations teams
- Project grant income for budgeting purposes, monitor grant revenue, and revise fundraising strategies as necessary to meet revenue goals
- Ensure that internal information systems are kept up to date and accurate; develop new ways to use information management systems as needed to support foundation fundraising
- Share writing and information on programs and projects with development staff
- Write regular reports on foundation fundraising for Board of Trustees
- Reconcile revenue reports with Finance Department
- Lead hiring for vacancies within the Foundation Relations team and serve on hiring committees for open positions within the organization
Foundation Solicitation and Relationship Development
Manage portfolio of foundation grants including:
- Monitor programmatic developments at relevant foundations
- Actively engage in personal contact with foundation staff to cultivate, solicit, and steward foundation donors; coordinate appropriate program staff involvement at each stage
- Partner with staff at other conservation organizations to solicit joint grants
- Collaborate with development staff on various cultivation activities, special events, site visits, and solicitations
- Develop letters of intent, proposals, and reports
- Develop budgets and financial reports in coordination with program and finance staff
- Ability to travel on average 30% of the time to support fundraising and engagement efforts
The successful candidate will have a minimum of seven years of successful grant-seeking experience, with progressively greater responsibilities. S/he will have a minimum of three years of management experience, supervising, mentoring and empowering the work of others in a high performing institution or organization with a reputation for quality and excellence.
- Health, Dental, and Vision insurance
- Life and Disability insurance
OUR IDEAL CANDIDATE:
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree preferred
- 7+ years of successful grant seeking experience
- 3+ years of management experience
- Ability to identify and build relationships with key foundation leadership and staff
- Ability to collaborate closely with Senior Leadership and program staff to deepen engagement with foundations
- Excellent creative writing and editing skills, including the ability to develop successful proposals and other materials
- Ability to synthesize complex material, interpret and understand programmatic goals, and translate into readable and engaging prose for intended audiences (e.g. funders).
- Outstanding verbal and interpersonal communication
- Ability to construct and manage a budget
- Conservation background and knowledge of foundations that emphasize environmental giving preferred
- Demonstrates an awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds and orientations
- Contributes to recruiting, hiring, developing and retaining a diverse and inclusive
- Ability to manage and lead a diverse team in a diverse environment with emotional intelligence and cultural
- Has self-awareness and understands the impact of behaviors and emotional intelligence in the Also understands team’s strengths and areas for development.
- Commitment to and experience in developing team skills and talents to meet the evolving needs of an organization
We’d love to hear from you!
If this sounds like the job for you, we would love to help make that happen. Please submit a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Senior Director of Foundations Relations” in the subject line.
Know a friend who would be a great fit? Feel free to send us their resume as well!
Is this position not a great fit?
For more information about Careers In Nonprofits and our other available opportunities and workshops, please visit our website at www.careersinnonprofits.com.
** Due to the high volume of applications we receive, we regretfully can only respond to those candidates who best meet the requirements of a specific position or whose backgrounds are generally applicable to our client base. Please rest assured that we retain all candidate information for possible future matches, even if you do not hear from us in regard to your application in response to this ad.