Are you a strong communicator with a passion for social justice, racial and gender equality?
Do you have 10+ years of senior-level, nonprofit leadership experience with excellent relationship building skills?
Are you an empowering leader with a commitment to the accessibility of reproductive healthcare, education and rights?
We are currently in search of a Vice President of External Affairs for Planned Parenthood of Illinois. The position is based in Chicago, IL. This is a permanent, full-time position.
ORGANIZATION TYPE: Planned Parenthood of Illinois
LOCATION: Chicago, IL
POSITION TITLE: Vice President of External Affairs
Is This Your Dream Job?
The Vice President of External Affairs will play a crucial role in ensuring Planned Parenthood of Illinois remains a safe space for reproductive healthcare and education. This role will build partnerships, policies and communications to advance the PPIL mission while supervising the marketing and outreach of the organization. PPIL is looking for a strong leader with excellent team-building skills and dedication to the organization’s goals. The Vice President of External Affairs reports to the CEO and supervises staff members including the Manager of External Affairs, Director of Public Policy, and 2 Community Engagement Managers. Some staff members are located outside of Chicago.
- Dynamic and innovative environment
- Opportunity to lead strategy of PPIL’s external outreach
Our Ideal Candidate:
- 10+ years senior-level leadership experience in a nonprofit organization required
- Bachelor’s degree required, MBA, MHA, MPH, MPP, MPA strongly preferred
- Experience at a health-based or social justice-based organization strongly preferred
- Excellent team-building skills, ability to get buy-in from team members
- Experience with Convio preferred, ability to use various databases required
- Strong presence, ability to serve as the face of PPIL, exceptional people skills and ability to create strong relationships with government officials, community partners, etc.
- Visionary, compelling public speaker, inspires collaboration, decisive, strategic thinker
- Exceptional supervisory skills, experience overseeing manager/director-level employees required
- Persuasive communication and presentation skills, must have knowledge of issues facing PPIL
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with changing priorities
How You Will Spend Your Day:
- Leading and inspiring PPIL teams which manage communications, marketing, public policy, and education; creating unified team with department leaders
- Assisting CEO and President with strategic plans related to external affairs
- Creating policies and procedures for external affairs team, managing department budget
- Hiring, supervising and evaluating staff
- Developing strong working relationships with government officials, community leaders, etc. to address PPIL issues
- Creating and implementing a strategic communications plan, acting as media spokesperson, promoting PPIL messaging in various media forms
- Organizing the collection and analysis of information distributed at the national, state and local levels
- Expanding PPIL’s Education program
- Demonstrating a commitment and understanding of PPIL’s mission and values by leading community engagement, managing various projects and other activities
We’d love to hear from you.
If this sounds like the job for you, we would love to help make that happen. Please submit a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “VP of External Affairs” in the subject line.
Know a friend who would be a great fit? Feel free to send us their resume as well.
Due to the high volume of applications we receive, we regretfully can only respond to those candidates who best meet the requirements of a specific position or whose backgrounds are generally applicable to our client base. Please rest assured that we retain all candidate information for possible future matches, even if you do not hear from us in regard to your application in response to this ad.