Are you excited to be the Brand Ambassador for a Human Services Organization focused on DEI and social justice practices in the local community? Do you have the Marketing/Communications and Development operations experience to serve as the organization’s voice for those who are underserved?
We are currently in search of an Associate Director of Development & Communications for a large, established and reputable human services organization focused on racial and social justice, an organization that believes in second changes and accepting people wherever they are in their journey. This position is based in San Francisco, CA (currently remote, but with plan to work on-site in near future). This is a permanent, full-time opportunity.
ORGANIZATION TYPE: Human Services/ Social Justice Organization
LOCATION: San Francisco, CA
POSITION TITLE: Associate Director of Development & Communications
SALARY: Competitive Salary DOE plus Excellent Benefits
Is This Your Dream Job? The Associate Director of Development & Communications is the Brand Ambassador of the organization and will use their expertise in the Marketing, Communications and Development and implementation, reporting to the Director of Development. The Associate Director fosters external relationships and communications and will help establish a culture of philanthropy across the entire organization as well as work to build systems and improve the day-to-day operations of the Development department. If you are a strong writer and have relevant experience in marketing and communications (and development operations a plus) and enjoy representing the mission and voice of the organization, this role is for you!
There is great opportunity for someone to be creative in writing as the voice of the organization (including for the Executive Team) and to build plans and strategies and consistently bring forth new ideas to grow and connect folks to the mission.
Our Ideal Candidate:
- 3-5+ years’ experience in nonprofit sector, with 2+ years in communications/development
- Passionate communicator and confident presenter; excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to articulate organization’s vision and programs to make a compelling, inspirational case for financial and other support
- Experience in nonprofit communications such as: website updates, publications, design and collateral, newsletters, invitations, social media, press releases and other communications
- 2+ years supervising staff, ideally with experience in hiring process, training and development, performance evaluations and taking appropriate disciplinary action
- Strong writing, editing, proofreading, layout and design skills (background in journalism, creative writing or similar a plus)
- Ability to translate complex material and ambiguities into readable and engaging communications, proposals and reports
- Organized, detail-oriented and timely in completing tasks with competing priorities and deadlines, project management skills
- Possess a positive attitude, customer service mentality, curiosity, visionary outlook, sense of humor and solution-focused
- Knowledge of effective communications and fundraising strategies and tactics as it pertains to communications
- Commitment to and passion for human services and helping those underserved
- Bachelor’s degree preferred, or commensurate experience
How You Will Spend Your Day:
- Represent the organization’s mission, voice and executive leadership messaging through internal and external communications to media, the public and other stakeholders
- Develop content for organization’s website, publications, design and collateral, newsletters, invitations, social media and other communications as it relates to fundraising and other support
- Represent organization externally – funders, program partners, coalitions, elected officials, community members, etc.
- Strategize with and support the Director of Development in development activities serving as a thought partner to the Director of Development
- Work closely with Director of Development to assist leadership team in annual planning, budgeting and goal setting, overseeing measurement and tracking of progress against the department’s budget and goals
- Support direct reports in overseeing a prospect tracking system and donor database, as well as in volunteer management
- Supervise, professionally develop, and retain two direct reports. Support staff organization-wide in development activities, as appropriate (database and volunteer management experience a plus)
- Model a management style that is collaborative, supportive, and encouraging
- Implement development best practices to enhance and continuously improve the day-to-day activities of an effective, efficient Development & Communications department and its staff
We’d love to hear from you.
If this sounds like the job for you, we would love to help make that happen. Please submit a resume to email@example.com with “Associate Director of Development & Communications” in the subject line.