This role is ideal for someone looking to start a new opportunity ASAP!
Do you have over 3+ years of nonprofit employee benefits experience?
Are you a detail-oriented professional who enjoys working on large-scale projects?
We are currently in search of a Benefits Specialist for a Social Services nonprofit. The position is based in Chicago, IL This is a temporary, ongoing position.
ORGANIZATION TYPE: Social Services Organization
LOCATION: Chicago, Illinois (hybrid; remote flexibility during COVID-19)
POSITION TITLE: Benefits Specialist
DURATION: Temporary, ongoing
SCHEDULE: Full-time, 40hrs/week
Is This Your Dream Job? This position will be responsible for the following functional areas: benefits administration, payroll, and human resources information system. Assists and reports to the Sr. Director of Human Resources to ensure operational effectiveness and exceptional customer service to the employee population of the agency.
Our Ideal Candidate:
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Business or related field and 4 plus years of experience in Human Resources, or an equivalent combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved. HR certification preferred.
- Must possess good knowledge of HR laws, practices and policies required and have experience with administering various health and welfare plans.
- Excellent communication skills, including written and verbal. Comfortable giving presentations to both large and small groups.
- Previous experience with HRIS systems strongly preferred
- Previous payroll experience; serving as back-up or assisting the payroll department.
- Ability to work under the stress of maintaining proper liaison between Program/Department Heads, managers and employees.
- Ability to meet attendance standards and work over-time hours, when required.
- Ability to maintain the confidentiality of all information.
How You Will Spend Your Day:
- Partners with employees and management to administer and communicate various Human Resources policies, procedures, laws, standards and government regulations.
- Assist in maintaining HRIS ensuring data integrity, the creation and maintenance of appropriate tables and configurations in core HR functions for accurate payroll processing.
- Work closely with Payroll manager each pay period, initiating employee changes, hires and terminations. Perform payroll audit each pay period ensuring solid HR system configuration, appropriate benefit deductions, and pay amounts.
- Assume primary management with the administration of health and welfare benefits, in accordance with company policy, benefits programs such as life, health, dental and disability insurance, vision plan, flexible spending, vacation, sick leave, tuition reimbursement and leaves of absence.
- Manage, analyze, and identify benefit options for recommendation to management that include health and welfare, life insurance, EAP, and pension. Work closely with providers, brokers and 3rd party vendors. Oversee the reconciliation of benefits accounts
- Manage open enrollment process. Coordinate and/or conduct benefits open enrollment and processes enrollment forms and changes to the carrier. Maintains carrier contact to investigate/resolve discrepancies expeditiously.
- Resolve employee questions and problems by interpreting benefit policies and procedures.
- Coordinate and process employee family medical leave act requests (FMLA).
- Responsible for keeping all confidential FMLA records. Works with the program/department supervisor in tracking employees FMLA time used.
- Maintain and apply knowledge of legal requirements and government reporting regulations affecting benefits, personnel records and ensures that related policies, procedures and reporting are in compliance.
- Works with the HRIS (UltiPro) to accurately enter new and current employee information, changes and updates; assists with self-service database administration.
- Assists with updating the statistical portions i.e. (workforce, availability, applicants, hires, terminations, etc.) of the Agency’s EEO/Affirmative Action program annually to meet compliance and assists with preparing and submitting the EEO-1,VETS-100 and Affordable Care Act reporting.
- Serves as back up contact for insurance brokers and benefit plan representatives.
- Assists employees with benefit election and comprehension of benefit plans.
- Establishes and maintains positive working relationships with staff members of the agency, external agencies and vendors.
- Assist the payroll department in updating employee changes to ensure accurate processing of biweekly payroll for two company codes.
- Prepare and submit government-mandated reports.
We’d love to hear from you!
If this sounds like the job for you, we would love to help make that happen. Please submit a resume to email@example.com with “Benefits Specialist” in the subject line.