Are you media and PR savvy with superb writing skills?
Do you have experience with policy regarding medical and health research?
We are currently in search of a Director of Communications for an Advocacy Organization. The position is based in Crystal City, VA. This is a full-time, permanent assignment.
ORGANIZATION TYPE: Advocacy and Public Education
LOCATION: Crystal City, VA
POSITION TITLE: Director of Communications
DURATION: Permanent / Direct Hire
SALARY: $90-100k annually (DOE)
Is This Your Dream Job? The Director of Communications is responsible for overseeing day-to-day communications functions, working with staff across the alliance to develop and execute a range of activities intended to raise awareness of medical and health research issues. The Director supports the VP of Alliance Development, Membership and Communications in planning, developing, managing and ensuring successful implementation of engagement strategies, plans and tactics for major events, briefings, and other key projects. This person develops and maintains highly collaborative and productive relationships with media, policymakers, current and potential members/partners, research professionals, business leaders and others committed to advancing medical and health research.
- Health, dental, vision, and life insurance
- Flex spending
- Retirement plan
- Parking/Metro benefits
Our Ideal Candidate:
- 8+ years of experience in communications
- Bachelor’s degree required; preferably in Communications/Journalism or Public Relations, Political Science
- Has prior supervisory experience (3 years minimum)
- Has computer expertise, including sophisticated command of design software programs, word processing, and spreadsheets (HTML, Web content management system software, Adobe Suite-Photoshop, Acrobat, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, Quark)
- Has excellent verbal and written communication skills
How You Will Spend Your Day:
- Lead media outreach and communications activities to support and reinforce the organization’s brand with the media, influencers and target audiences including press release/statement distribution, and oversight of LTE and op-ed placement
- Provide high-quality writing, supervision and editorial management for all communications.
- Lead communications activities for specific events; write summaries for website, blog and other communications platforms; assist with materials development and on-site support as needed for events and programs
- Lead maintenance and continuing enhancement of website; assist with social medial engagement
- Manage proactive member communications outreach through various print and electronic vehicles
- Develop presentations for executive speaking engagements; conduct research and draft presentations, remarks and talking points as needed
We’d love to hear from you. If this sounds like the job for you, we would love to help make that happen. Please submit a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Director of Communications” in the subject line.
Know a friend who would be a great fit? Feel free to send us their resume as well.
Is this position not a great fit?
For more information about Careers In Nonprofits and our other available opportunities and workshops, please visit our website at www.careersinnonprofits.com.
Due to the high volume of applications we receive, we regretfully can only respond to those candidates who best meet the requirements of a specific position or whose backgrounds are generally applicable to our client base. Please rest assured that we retain all candidate information for possible future matches, even if you do not hear from us in regard to your application in response to this ad.