Are you media and PR savvy with superb writing skills?
Do you have experience with policy regarding medical and health research?
We are currently in search of a Director of Communications and Media Relations for a Non-profit Organization. The position is based in Washington, DC. This is a full-time, permanent assignment.
ORGANIZATION TYPE: Non-profit
LOCATION: Washington, DC
POSITION TITLE: Director of Communications and Media Relations
DURATION: Permanent / Direct Hire
SALARY: $70,000 – $90,000 annually (DOE)
Is This Your Dream Job? The Director of Communications and Media Relations is responsible for overseeing day-to-day communications functions, working with staff to develop and execute a range of activities intended to promote public understanding and support for research. The Director supports the President in planning, developing, managing and ensuring successful implementation of engagement strategies, plans and tactics for major events, campaigns and other key projects. This person develops and maintains highly collaborative and productive relationships with media, current and potential supporters, partners and others. The Director provides media crisis management training to supporters.
- Health, dental, vision, and life insurance
- Retirement plan
- Parking/Metro benefits
Our Ideal Candidate:
- 8+ years of experience in communications
- Bachelor’s degree required; preferably in Communications/Journalism or Public Relations
- Has prior supervisory experience (3 years minimum)
- Has computer expertise, including sophisticated command of design software programs, word processing, and spreadsheets (HTML, Web content management system software, Adobe Suite-Photoshop, Acrobat, Illustrator, CRM)
- Has excellent verbal and written communication skills
How You Will Spend Your Day:
- Create, implement, and monitor strategic and tactical communications plans and public relations strategy, including hiring, supervision, management and mentoring of support staff
- Lead media outreach and communications activities to support and reinforce the organization’s mission with the media, influencers and target audiences including press release/statement distribution, and oversight of LTE and op-ed placement
- Provide high-quality writing, supervision and editorial management for all communications
- Lead communications activities for specific events; write summaries for website, blog and other communications platforms; assist with materials development and on-site support as needed for events and programs
- Lead maintenance and continuing enhancement of website; assist with social medial engagement
- Manage proactive supporter communications outreach through various print and electronic vehicles
- Develop presentations for executive speaking engagements; conduct research and draft presentations, remarks and talking points as needed
- Other duties as assigned
We’d love to hear from you. If this sounds like the job for you, we would love to help make that happen. Please submit a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Director of Communications” in the subject line.
Know a friend who would be a great fit? Feel free to send us their resume as well.
Is this position not a great fit?
For more information about Careers In Nonprofits and our other available opportunities and workshops, please visit our website at www.careersinnonprofits.com.
Due to the high volume of applications we receive, we regretfully can only respond to those candidates who best meet the requirements of a specific position or whose backgrounds are generally applicable to our client base. Please rest assured that we retain all candidate information for possible future matches, even if you do not hear from us in regard to your application in response to this ad.
Requirements of a specific position or whose backgrounds are generally applicable to our client base. Please rest assured that we retain all candidate information for possible future matches, even if you do not hear from us in regard to your application in response to this ad.