Do you have a passion for the environment?
Do you enjoy flexibility within a role and thrive on creativity?
Are you a Development professional excited by the opportunity to create a new development plan that will impact the organization now, and ten years from now?
We are currently in search of a Director of Development and Communications for an Environmental Organization. The position is based in Chicago, IL. This is a full-time, permanent position.
ORGANIZATION TYPE: Environmental Organization
LOCATION: Chicago, IL
POSITION TITLE: Director of Development and Communications
DURATION: Full-Time, Permanent
Is This Your Dream Job?
The Director of Development and Communications provides strategic, development, and communications leadership across the organization’s strategic priority areas to advance the brand. They raise the visibility and increase the network of funders and donors. The Director will manage, develop and implement every aspect of external affairs for the organization. In this role, they will collaborate with project teams to implement development and communication tasks.
Our client is a mission-driven, regional environmental nonprofit organization.
- Health, Dental and Vision Insurance
- Vacation, PTO and Sick time
- Flexible Schedule and Telecommuting options
- Free gym membership
Our Ideal Candidate:
- At least 10 years of experience in a fast-paced, team-oriented, deadline-driven Development role required
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred
- Demonstrated ability to develop, articulate, implement and grow a strategic development plan with demonstrated success in individual giving, special events, and corporate and foundation philanthropy as well as government grants required
- Experience working with foundations required
- Some experience with government agencies, corporate sponsors and major donors highly preferred
- Highly organized with strong attention to detail and follow-up
- Ability to respond positively and creatively to new challenges and responsibilities as they arise, and be adaptable to change
How You Will Spend Your Day:
- Working closely with the CEO, the Board of Directors, and other staff to lead the development and implementation of an annual development plan, provide a vision for integrated long-term annual fundraising objectives
- Overseeing the creation, implementation, and management of development strategies to meet identified organizational goals
- Overseeing the pursuit of funding opportunities, specifically as it relates to private foundations, including researching funding sources, spearheading relationship-building with funders and sponsors, coordinating proposal development process with staff, and editing grant proposals and reports
- Overseeing the cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of the organization’s individual donor program
- Creating and implementing major gifts, corporate giving and sponsorship programs
- Overseeing content strategy for the organization’s communications materials and online platforms, managing brand consistency and ensuring that content on the website and social media platforms and external communications (monthly e-newsletter, publications, annual reports, direct mail appeals, white papers, talking points, presentations, event blurbs) is fresh, relevant, compelling, and on brand
- Planning and executing regular event programming that grow the organization’s donor network and provide meaningful opportunities for engagement with staff, board, and our programs
- Managing media relations for the organization, including writing press releases and talking points, pitching reporters, coordinating press interviews with staff, and developing and submitting conference session proposals
We’d love to hear from you.
If this sounds like the job for you, we would love to help make that happen. Please submit a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Director of Development and Communications” in the subject line.
Know a friend who would be a great fit? Feel free to send us their resume as well.
Is this position not a great fit?
For more information about Careers In Nonprofits and our other available opportunities and workshops, please visit our website at www.careersinnonprofits.com.
Due to the high volume of applications we receive, we regretfully can only respond to those candidates who best meet the requirements of a specific position or whose backgrounds are generally applicable to our client base. Please rest assured that we retain all candidate information for possible future matches, even if you do not hear from us in regard to your application in response to this ad.