We are currently in search of a Director of Development for a Conservation Nonprofit. The position is based in the San Francisco Bay Area.
ORGANIZATION TYPE: Conservation Nonprofit
LOCATION: San Francisco Bay Area
POSITION TITLE: Director of Development
SALARY RANGE: $120-150K (commensurate with experience)
Is This Your Dream Job? The Director of Development will facilitate and assist in leading the Development team’s fundraising efforts and growth. Reporting to the Chief Development & Communications Officer, you will play a key role within the department and organization by directly managing and leading a team focused on individual giving, managing and maintaining a portfolio of major gift donors, and advising on a growth strategy to increase philanthropic support across revenue channels.
As Director of Development, you will directly lead a team focused on individual giving, donor stewardship, and purposeful events as well as support broader efforts engaging prospects, managing pipelines, creating effective narratives, closing gifts, and executing high-quality cultivation, solicitation and stewardship processes. You will be responsible for making sure that the organization’s individual donor revenue goal of $6M+ annually is met or exceeded, which contributes to the Development Department’s overall annual fundraising goal of $14M+.
You possess top-notch relationship-building and management skills, with an ability to build rapport with staff, donors, volunteers, board members, and partners. You’ll bring a dynamic leadership style and an outcomes-oriented approach to this new role.
Our Ideal Candidate:
- 7+ years of nonprofit fundraising experience, including experience with and track record of personally closing six- and seven-figure gifts
- 5+ years of people management experience
- Ability to successfully work with multiple stakeholders with an eye toward collaboration, alignment, and high service
- Innovative, results-oriented with strong attention to detail and ability to manage the pipeline process
- Organized and metrics-driven, flexible and open to trying various approaches, using data to inform strategic direction and decision making
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, confident with public speaking
- Ability to lead, willingness to be led and comfort with situational leadership; good at listening and giving/receiving feedback
- Collaborative nature with the ability to work closely with Chief Development & Communications Officer, Development Team, Department Heads as well as with a board of directors to accomplish tasks and initiatives
- Adherence to the AFP code of ethical standards
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office required; familiarity with Raiser’s Edge CRM database helpful
- Commitment to diversity and inclusion
How You Will Spend Your Day:
- Meet or exceed personal revenue goal of between $750,000 and $1.5M annually
- Lead team of 4-7 direct reports in meeting or exceeding individual revenue team goal of $6M+ annually (supporting efforts to reach or exceed Development team’s goal of $14M+)
- Develop and execute the overall fundraising strategy in partnership with the Chief Development & Communications Officer
- Drive individual fundraising activity and manage the team to clear goals and performance metrics
- Communicate pipeline progress and status to goal to critical stakeholders on a consistent basis
- Partner with and leverage other departments and individuals to provide training and support to the Development team
- Use analytics to make data-driven decisions and fine-tune processes
- Drive team performance, communicating and setting clear goals and expectations
- Manage team in a collaborative, team-based environment, thinking through individual staff and team’s roles and growth to maximize the philanthropic potential of the organization
- Embody a leadership style that empowers the strengths of all team members
- Work closely with organization leadership and relevant functional areas to ensure alignment to goals, strategy, process, and cross-team collaboration
We’d love to hear from you.
If this sounds like the job for you, we would love to help make that happen. Please submit a resume to email@example.com with “Director of Development” in the subject line.
Know a friend who would be a great fit? Feel free to send us their resume as well.
Is this position not a great fit?
For more information about Careers In Nonprofits and our other available opportunities and workshops, please visit our website at www.careersinnonprofits.com.
Due to the high volume of applications we receive, we regretfully can only respond to those candidates who best meet the requirements of a specific position or whose backgrounds are generally applicable to our client base. Please rest assured that we retain all candidate information for possible future matches, even if you do not hear from us regarding your application in response to this ad.