We are currently in search of a Director of Finance & Accounting for a Research Foundation. The position
is based in Santa Clara County, CA.
ORGANIZATION TYPE: Research Foundation
LOCATION: Santa Clara County, CA
POSITION TITLE: Director of Finance & Accounting
SALARY: $153K – $163K
BENEFITS: Exceptional benefits including medical, dental and vision insurance; a 403 (b) retirement plan
with a 7% employer retirement contribution after 1 year; 25 days of PTO on an annual basis; sick leave
hours accumulation; Life, AD&D, and LTD coverages; and a subsidized post-retirement medical insurance
plan for eligible employees.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director of Finance & Accounting will lead financial operations in
support of a Research Foundation, including cash management and reporting, budget planning, control,
and fiscal policy. This includes direct supervision to a smaller team and additional oversight of a team of a
larger team. The Director manages around $60 million in annual revenues and assets and operating
budget of $1.5 million.
The Director partners with Directors, the Assistant Vice President of Research, and the Executive Director
to actively contribute to the strategic direction of the organization, assisting in developing and
implementing financial technology systems, programs, policies, and procedures for the foundation.
Our Ideal Candidate:
• 8+ years progressive financial operations and management experience, with nonprofit, externally
funded contracts and grants experience
• Demonstrated knowledge of principles, policies, practices, compliance rules and regulations
relative to administration of federal and state grants and contracts, including knowledge of
Uniform Guidance terms and conditions as well as other federal, state and local regulations
governing the financial affairs for nonprofit organizations
• Bachelor’s degree, in Finance and/or Accounting; Master’s degree and/or CPA preferred
• 5+ years hands-on experience leading and managing multiple staff
• Strong verbal and written communication skills, collaborative in working cross-functionally and
with key offices within the foundation to accomplish tasks and initiatives
• Experience working with nonprofit governing boards
• Advanced level knowledge of MS Office required; Cognos report writing highly preferred,
experience with One Solution/Central Square and Adaptive a plus
• Experience working with ERP systems required; design and implementation/conversion of
accounting systems highly preferred
• Strong leadership, analytical, and negotiating skills, along with demonstrated public speaking, oral
and written communication skills
How You Will Spend Your Day:
• Leads, directs and oversees the Foundation’s Finance and Accounting function in keeping with
the needs and competencies of the institution
• Manages operating budget of $1.5 million and $60 million in annual revenues and assets.
• Directly supervises and coaches a team of 4, and additional oversight of a team of 9
• Collaborates with business unit Directors, Assistant Vice President of Research, Executive Director
to provide senior leadership
• Presents to Board of Directors, along with additional board committees
• Leads Foundation’s audits by providing direction, support, and management, including working
with outside firms and agencies
• Prepares the Foundation’s fringe benefit proposal annually, including vacation pool
implementation, along with direction and management of investments
• Acts with excellent customer service to all internal and external customers and clients
• Ensures appropriate compliance with Uniform Guidance regulations, GAAP, CASB, and AICPA in all
areas of finance and accounting, in addition to federal, state, and local regulations
We’d love to hear from you.
If this sounds like the job for you, we would love to help make that happen. Please submit a resume to
email@example.com with “Director of Finance & Accounting” in the subject line.
Know a friend who would be a great fit? Feel free to send us their resume as well.
Is this position not a great fit?
For more information about Careers In Nonprofits and our other available opportunities and workshops,
please visit our website at www.careersinnonprofits.com.
Due to the high volume of applications we receive, we regretfully can only respond to those candidates who best meet the requirements of a specific position or whose backgrounds are generally applicable to our client base. Please rest assured that we retain all candidate information for possible future matches, even if you do not hear from us in regard to your application in
response to this ad.