Are you excited to be Director of Marketing & Communications for an independent school that holds DEI as a core value, collaborating and helping reinvent and build a new department? Are you interested in contributing to the education of students grades 6-12?
We are currently in search of a Director of Marketing & Communications for a large, established and reputable independent 6-12 school. This position is based in the San Francisco Bay Area (San Mateo County) and requires mostly on-site work with some flexibility. This is a permanent, full-time opportunity.
ORGANIZATION TYPE: Independent Grade 6-12 Bay Area School
LOCATION: San Mateo County (full-time on-site position with limited flexibility)
POSITION TITLE: Director of Marketing & Communications
SALARY: $120-150K+ DOE plus excellent benefits including but not limited to: Employer Contributed Retirement Plan starting at 5% plus option of Employee Pre-Tax Retirement Plan, 100% health insurance coverage for employee and 50% dependents, 18 Days PTO plus generous holidays including federal, holiday and spring breaks.
Is This Your Dream Job?
As the first Director of Marketing & Communications, you will serve as the ambassador and storyteller for the organization. You will skillfully and effectively collaborate with Advancement and Admissions teams as well as executive level staff to lead the development and implementation of marketing and communications strategies and measure and report the success of elevating the organization’s brand and improving audience engagement. You are a creative and strategic thinker who is collaborative, practical, focused, and detail-oriented. You possess strong writing and editing skills and are an influential advisor to colleagues. You lead with diplomacy and build buy-in internally, and externally drive awareness and support for the organization among all primary audiences, including students and families/alumnae/donors, volunteers and community partners. You are a key leadership team member who is passionate about the school’s mission and can tell their story in a compelling way with the goal of building support.
Our Ideal Candidate:
- Minimum 7-10+ years’ experience with 3-5+ years in marketing and communications, having developed and overseen a brand strategy and marketing plan
- A team player with the ability and enthusiasm in building trust, collaborating and building effective working relationships and a bridge between advancement, admissions and the new marketing & communications department
- Excellent writer and editor, strong in both written and verbal communication
- Awareness and commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion as a core value and the ability to write through this lens
- Strong interpersonal and entrepreneurial skills, creative with the ability to think outside the box and share expertise
- Flexible and adaptable in building out a new role in the school, building out a system and process
- Background in marketing and communications for schools, nonprofits or other dynamic settings serving multiple stakeholders is a plus
- A passion or interest in education or supporting youth, interested in learning and growing professionally
- Willingness to roll up sleeves and help where needed, especially while building out a department
How You Will Spend Your Day:
- Partner with Chief Advancement & Strategy Officer to create and implement a marketing and communications strategy (including brand stewardship, media strategy, messaging, and public relations) targeting key audiences
- Build key relationships and collaborate with Advancement and Admissions to develop and organize timelines, establish systems, processes, work flow and protocols between the three departments with goals of efficiency, clarity and effectiveness
- Oversee and manage marketing and communications strategy and messaging, implementing consistent branding in all print and digital assets and ensuring messaging aligns with the agency’s core values, mission, programs, and impact
- Be the voice of equity on behalf of the school to respond, speak out and create content related to world affairs and ensure alignment within school’s core values
- Serve as the primary content editor for marketing and communications projects, including newsletters, annual reports, brochures, and other print and electronic collateral
- Lead and guide the development of print and electronic collateral, such as brochures, promotional videos, newsletters, press releases, and annual reports
- Support and collaborate in the development of print and digital fundraising campaign and appeal content with Advancement and Admissions teams
- Hire and supervise a Marketing Manager once on board
- Implement media strategies aimed at brand awareness-building and development relationships
- Separate from the marketing and communications responsibilities, leadership staff also serve as a Co-Advisor to a group of students on a weekly basis for a couple of hours and perform parent teacher conferences twice a year and are involved in retreats
We’d love to hear from you.
If this sounds like the job for you, we would love to help make that happen. Please submit a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Director of Marketing & Communications” in the subject line.