Are you interested in working for a nonprofit scientific association focused on the science and technology of Artificial Intelligence? As part of the Association for the Advancement of Artificial Intelligence (AAAI), you will guide the implementation and execution of programs and initiatives that provide opportunities for researchers and practitioners in the field to share their work and challenges through conferences, workshops, symposia and publications. In addition, you will have an opportunity to facilitate their collaboration and highlight their accomplishments through special initiatives and an extensive list of honors. As part of the AAAI team, you will play a key role in furthering AAAI’s commitment to the advancement of the science, as well as its outreach to the diverse community it serves, including traditionally underserved communities in computer science. AAAI is searching for a talented Executive Director who is detail-oriented, has a high capacity for relationship-building, and is effective working with councils, committees, volunteers, members, and other key stakeholders.
The Association for the Advancement of Artificial Intelligence (AAAI) is an international scientific society devoted to promote research in, and responsible use of, artificial intelligence. AAAI also aims to increase public understanding of artificial intelligence (AI), improve the teaching and training of AI practitioners, and provide guidance for research planners and funders concerning the importance and potential of current AI developments and future directions.
- Minimum 10+ years background in budget development and oversight, conference planning and organization, and board administration, preferably with an association or nonprofit organization
- B.A. Required, Advanced Degree Preferred
- Knowledge of what a scientific society/conference does and ideally past management of a large scientific conference, including budget development, program committee coordination, development of processes and procedures, and familiarity with necessary logistical details
- Experience with association management software in membership, conference, and publications preferred. Comfort and ability to utilize social media channels.
- Background or interest in science and/or technology preferred
- Excellent written/verbal/proofreading skills, ideally with familiarity with academic publishing process
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships and lead the executive council, members and other leadership staff
- Demonstrated ability to use judgment, initiative, and sound problem-‐solving skills
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, and ability to drive multiple programs forward simultaneously
- Commitment to and interest in the organization’s mission
- Willingness to roll up sleeves and help where needed in a small organization, with work at very high strategic level as well as more detail-‐oriented day to day tasks
- Extremely high level of customer service with ability to be collaborative, responsive, diplomatic, and efficient.
- Experience managing volunteers at all levels is a huge plus and ability to keep them engaged in continuing to support the organization.
Leadership and Administration
- Recruit, train, and manage a staff of 5-‐10, including outside consultants, to ensure timely and efficient implementation of AAAI business.
- Develop procedures and policies for current and future use, seeking legal advice as needed.
- Manage and run meetings and communications for the Executive Council.
- Maintain records and track membership activities.
- Coordinate all elections of officers and councilors and advise president on committee assignment.
- Engage media liaisons, as needed.
Conference and Awards Programs
- Manage all phases of conference and symposia development, including site selection and negotiations, budgets, registration fees, production schedules, and procedures for the execution of a successful conference.
- Ensure availability of tools and platforms to execute development of conference. Work with all chairs and sub-‐ chairs to establish schedules and procedures for the successful execution of their programs.
- Ensure the coordination of announcement, nomination and selection phase of extensive Fellows and Awards program.
- Coordinate recognition events, monetary awards, and certificate/program production and dissemination.
- Ensure membership is kept apprised of all Association activities, decisions, and initiatives via email, website and social media channels.
- Ensure that media representatives are connected to appropriate scientific experts, as needed.
- Maintain and build successful relationships with members.
- Ensure the maintenance of membership records and report statistics to Executive Council, as needed.
- Ensure delivery of membership benefits, and develop procedures for implementation of new benefits.
- Recommend changes in membership dues structure when appropriate and arrange for annual or biannual survey.
- Ensure that all publications of the Association are produced according to the direction of the Publications Committee and in compliance with all publication industry standards, laws, and regulations.
- Maintain current contracts with magazine and proceedings production services, and work with them to ensure the successful publication of all organizational materials.
- Maintain contracts and agreements with outside reprint houses, indexers, distributors, and other service providers.
Budget and Finance
- Prepare the annual budget, manage annual audit and prepare tax returns.
- Ensure that the in-house accountant provides timely accounting of all Association finances for distribution to the Executive Council.
- Implement financial recommendations of the Executive Council in accordance with the financial policy.
- Collaborate with Secretary/Treasurer on financial reporting and access.
- Approve all financial transactions and contracts, and monitor association cash flow.
- Ensure that all outside grants are accounted for properly, and administered to the appropriate programs or individuals.
SALARY: $140K-‐180K DOE plus excellent benefits
LOCATION: Palo Alto, CA with remote flexibility
HOURS: Full time (100%)
AAAI web site: https://www.aaai.org/
AAAI conferences web site: https://aaai.org/Conferences/conferences.php
As an equal opportunity employer, AAAI is committed to providing employment opportunities to all qualified individuals and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, marital status, veteran status, pregnancy, parental status, genetic information or characteristics, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.AAAI has retained Careers In Nonprofits to help with this hire.
About Careers In Nonprofits Careers In Nonprofits is a seven-‐time award winning Best of Staffing recruiting firm, exclusively serving the nonprofit sector. Since 2006 we have provided temporary, temp to hire, and direct hire services to over 600 nonprofit organizations throughout the US. Our mission is to connect the best people with the best causes. We successfully fulfill this mission by identifying client needs and candidates career goals, matching them through a proven search process that works. For more information, please visit our website at www.careersinnonprofits.com.
If you are interested, please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “AAAI Executive Director” in the subject line.