Are you currently barred in New York, DC, and/or California with at least 6 years of legal experience with a 501c4 organization?
Are you passionate about protecting human rights?
We are currently in search of a Nonprofit General Counsel for a Social Justice Organization. The position is based in NY, DC, CA or remote. This is a Full Time, Permanent assignment.
ORGANIZATION TYPE: Social Justice Nonprofit
LOCATION: Remote Possible – NY, DC or CA preferred
POSITION TITLE: General Counsel
DURATION: Full Time
SALARY: $100,000 – 130,000/annual
Is This Your Dream Job? Reporting to the Deputy Director, this position is responsible for advising the organization on a wide range of legal, operational, compliance, LLC, and c3/c4 issues. The candidate will provide counsel and guidance to leadership, ensure compliance, track lobbying activities and review/develop contracts. They will serve as the main liaison to the outside counsel firm and delegate work as necessary. The candidate will be self-motivated, proactive, and someone that thrives in a fast-paced environment. This individual will be solutions-oriented, eager to take on new challenges and excited to be an integral part of a passionate team of hard-working professionals.
Our Ideal Candidate:
- 6+ years of legal practice advising on a wide range of issues
- Holds a law degree in NY, DC, and/or California
- Experience working with a c3 and c4, as well as an LLC
- Background in a social justice nonprofit is preferred, specifically with an organization dealing with immigration, labor, women, and LGBTQ issues
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, and strong judgement
- Self-starter that takes the initiative, is proactive, and can anticipate legal issues or risks
- Bilingual English/Spanish is a plus
How You Will Spend Your Day:
- Provide proactive counsel and guidance on all legal matters and implications to the organization’s leadership
- Serve as the liaison to the outside counsel firm, delegating work as necessary
- Ensure all entities are in compliant with federal, state, and local laws and ordinances, advising LLC on corporate form and governance questions, trademarking and intellectual property, etc.
- Collaborate with the team to help minimize organizational risk
- Review and develop contracts, MOUs, and agreements
- Oversee and track lobbying activities
- Serve on the Management Team and work regularly with the Senior HR Director to ensure personnel policies are up to date
We’d love to hear from you.
If this sounds like the job for you, we would love to help make that happen. Please submit your resume by clicking the “Apply” button located at the bottom of this job description.
Know a friend who would be a great fit? Feel free to send us their resume as well.
Is this position not a great fit?
For more information about Careers In Nonprofits and our other available opportunities and workshops, please visit our website at www.careersinnonprofits.com.
Due to the high volume of applications we receive, we regretfully can only respond to those candidates who best meet the requirements of a specific position or whose backgrounds are generally applicable to our client base. Please rest assured that we retain all candidate information for possible future matches, even if you do not hear from us in regard to your application in response to this ad.