Are you passionate about community, social justice, and diversity?
Do you have at least 3 years of experience in grants budgeting and finance?
Do you work well with a passionate, collaborative team dedicated to their mission?
We are currently in search of a Grants Accountant & Finance Coordinator for a Community-Based Social Justice Organization. This is a full-time, permanent position based in Chicago, IL.
ORGANIZATION TYPE: Community-Based Social Justice Organization
POSITION TITLE: Grants Accountant & Finance Coordinator
DURATION: Full-Time, Permanent
Is This Your Dream Job?
The Grants Accountant & Finance Coordinator assists in the preparation and management of accounting records and reports related to the Organization’s grants and programs. From preparing monthly budget reconciliations to ensuring balances are appropriately stated, the Grants Accountant & Finance Coordinator will work in close collaboration with the Executive Director, Deputy Director, Grants Director, and Program Directors to ensure compliance with grant requirements and accurate accounting. The Organization is seeking a self-motivated, energetic, proactive finance professional who is open-minded and passionate about social justice and diversity.
Our Ideal Candidate:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance from an accredited college or university required
- 2 years of grant cost accounting experience required
- Minimum 3 to 5 years of experience in grants budgeting and accounting
- Previous experience with HR-related responsibilities (i.e. benefits, 401k, etc.) required
- QuickBooks, ADP, and government ERP system familiarity strongly preferred
- CPA not required but highly preferred
- Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Outlook, PowerPoint) proficiency with high proficiency in Excel
- Fluent in Korean or Spanish
- Must be able to work individually as well as within a team
- Able to perform the essential functions of the position with or without a reasonable accommodation
How You Will Spend Your Day:
- Preparing assigned grant agency invoices on a timely basis to ensure a continuous cash flow and following up for receipt of payments
- Preparing federal, state and local city grant / contract reports as assigned
- Preparing annual grant program budgets and budget modifications as assigned
- Participating in grant proposal meetings and assisting with proposed budget preparations
- Monitoring detailed grant salary allocations / distributions against original or modified budget and providing status reports to each grant director on a routine basis
- Monitoring all grants activity for appropriate / allowable charges against budget and providing status reports to each grant director on a routine basis
- Monitoring equipment purchases under each grant budget and maintain matching documentation necessary to support annual grant reports
- Assisting and training program directors in the use of financial and time / attendance software
- Researching details of grant expenditures as requested
- Monitoring annual spend-down commitments and coordinate with each grant program site staff
- Complying with Generally Accepted Accounting Procedures (GAAP)
- Reconciling balance sheet accounts as assigned quarterly, and monthly bank reconciliations
- Entering monthly journal entries as assigned by dates outlined on the financial closing schedule
- Participating in and completing all required trainings
- Leading and managing audits with senior leadership (Program Managers, Deputy Director, Executive Director)
- Collaborating with consulting accountant and auditor on financial statements and tax filings
- Supporting HR for tax filings, analysis of payroll allocation and payroll 1099s requests
- Supporting HUD filings with auditor for agency property management services
- Checking work email according to agency protocol
If this sounds like the job for you, we would love to help make that happen. Please submit a resume (Word or PDF format only) to Andrea Hall at email@example.com with “Grants Accountant & Finance Coordinator” in the subject line.
Know a friend who would be a great fit for this position? Feel free to send us their resume as well.
Is this position not a great fit?
For more information about Careers in Nonprofits and our other available opportunities and workshops, please visit our website at www.careersinnonprofits.com.
Due to the high volume of applications we receive, we regretfully can only respond to those candidates who best meet the requirements of a specific position or whose backgrounds are generally applicable to our client base. Please rest assured that we retain all candidate information for possible future matches, even if you do not hear from us in regard to your application in response to this ad.