Do you have 8+ years’ experience in managing Nonprofit Finances & Operations?
Are you looking for an advocacy role that ignites transformational impact in Chicago?
We are currently in search of a Managing Director of Finance and Operations for a Social Justice Organization. The position is offered predominately onsite in Downtown, Chicago with remote flexibility during COVID-19. This is a full-time, permanent position.
POSITION TITLE: Managing Director of Finance and Operations
ORGANIZATION TYPE: Social Justice Organization
LOCATION: Downtown Chicago, IL (Loop); predominately onsite with remote flexibility during COVID-19
DURATION: Fulltime, Permanent
SALARY: $ 95,000-$100,000/year, benefits available
Is This Your Dream Job? The Managing Director of Finance and Operations directly supports the Executive Director on all financial and operational matters. The role is responsible for reporting and financial management, information technology services, and works with the Administrative Director to oversee operations and human resource matters. The Managing Director of Finance and Operations will refine and enhance current systems with the intent to maximize efficiency and effectiveness throughout the organization and will inspire and drive the development and creation of new protocols, processes, and procedures in areas where such development is needed.
How You Will Spend Your Day:
Financial Management- 60%
- Perform all financial operations and day-to-day financial reporting functions, including accounting, budgeting, internal control systems, and auditing, tax, and financial grants management
- Manage cash flow to ensure adequate funds to cover A/P and payroll. Manage bank, auditor, and tax relationships.
- Perform budget, financial planning, and accounting functions. Ensure timely and accurate financial and regulatory reporting.
- Responsible for all accounting functions, including processing AP/AR. Perform all routine accounting procedures such as oversight of general ledger, accounts receivable, accounts payable, bank and investment account reconciliations, cash management, and reporting
- Process payroll with third-party payroll provider
- Partner with development team to provide financial information for grant writing and monitoring
- Oversee the annual audit process as well as preparation and issuance of federal and state return requirements
- Collaborate with investment portfolio managers to ensure that assets are managed in compliance with all standards and policies for board designated, donor-restricted, and reserve funds management
- Works in partnership with Administrative Director to ensure operations are mission-aligned and vision focused
- Ensures that all aspects of operations support equity and inclusion principles
- Serves as strategic and trusted thought partner to deliberate ideas in an agile environment
Information Technology- 10%
- Ensures Information Technology is adequate and operating effectively and efficiently
- Supervises data and technology as well as project management and systems improvements
- Manages relationships with third-party Information Technology service providers
- Oversees Information Technology projects, including procuring equipment and applications as needed
Human Resources- 10%
- In partnership with the Administrative Director, manages the human resources functions including setting the tone for a collaborative work environment that promotes a culture of respect
- Directs recruitment activities; prepares and maintains job descriptions and personnel files
- Oversees performance management, employee training, and development; ensures compliance with law and regulations
- Develops, reviews, and maintains personnel policies as needed
- Participates directly in all benefits plan administration including rate negotiation and term lengths.
Our Ideal Candidate:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in finance or accounting; MBA or CPA preferred
- 8+ years’ experience in nonprofit financial and operational management required
- Proficiency in accounting software (preferably Quickbooks Online) and MS Office Suite
- Extensive experience in managing the following functions: financial management, Information Technology, operations, and human resources
- Experience with donor management and contact management systems preferred
- Experience in managing audit and tax engagements with third-party CPA firm
- Understanding of accounting principles related to nonprofit organizations
- Experience preparing budgets and an understanding of grant reporting requirements
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated commitment to values of equity, diversity, and inclusion, personally and in previous leadership positions
- The acumen and finesse to handle complex situations and multiple responsibilities, mixing long-term projects with the urgency of immediate demands
- Experience engaging in creative problem solving and taking initiative, while utilizing a solutions-oriented approach and exhibiting flexibility and good judgment
We’d love to hear from you!
If this sounds like the job for you, we would love to help make that happen. Please submit a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Managing Director of Finance and Operations” in the subject line.