We are currently in search of a Nonprofit Deputy Director for a foundation, with a healthcare-related mission. The position is based in San Diego County, CA. This is a permanent, full-time opportunity.
ORGANIZATION: Healthcare foundation
LOCATION: San Diego County, CA (with some remote flexibility)
POSITION TITLE: Deputy Director
Position Overview: We are looking for a nonprofit/foundation professional to take the lead in a newly established foundation and be responsible for the day to day operations, public relations, compliance and long-term funding strategies for its success. The Deputy Director will develop, manage and implement an operational and strategic plan for the foundation. With a substantial amount of financing as well as some of the legal and compliance aspects well underway, there will be an immediate focus on operational infrastructure, board governance and public relations to build awareness within this role. This role will also be key in developing consensus between the foundation and its parent’s company as well as multiple stakeholders at various phases of organizational growth, and in future funding initiatives and strategies.
Working in partnership with the CEO, the Board of Directors, other leadership staff and volunteers, this is an ideal position for a resourceful and analytical, self-motivated professional who has the experience and knowledge to advise the leadership team on all nonprofit/foundation aspects and provide direction. This person must also be comfortable with the details and ready to jump in as a generalist and perform day to day operational work to ensure things are moving.
- Ensure compliance and timely submissions as it relates to budget, financials, nonprofit regulations and any outsourced needs
- Establish collaborative relationships and work cross-functionally within foundation and the parent company, guide and support staff, board members and volunteers on all foundation operations and strategies
- Develop solutions and initiatives presented to the CEO and board that are backed up by data and reports, track and evaluate goals and progress
- Lead board meetings and other committee meetings that are highly effective and efficient, and project manage to ensure program deliverables are met
- Build and maintain relationships with various patient support organizations central to the foundation mission
- Submit press releases/media opportunities and community outreach with goal of engaging the public and raising awareness for the foundation’s mission and impact
- Establish foundation-focused funding plans and strategies
- 3-5+ years of nonprofit leadership experience, ideally in a smaller/start-up type of nonprofit environment with some experience in being resourceful, creating systems and processes from scratch
- Past experience in nonprofit/foundation operations or executive leadership
- Demonstrated success working with Boards and foundations comprised of prominent corporate and community volunteers
- People-oriented, highly collaborative, and hardworking individual with strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work with a sense of urgency in a fast-paced environment, but also comfortable with problem solving ambiguity and various organizational stages
- Proven ability to perform data analysis and use to support recommendations for goals and needs of the foundation
- Professional experience in fundraising with a track record of success
- Passionate about helping those with rare diseases, interest or experience in healthcare research and innovation is a plus
- Tech savvy, ability to learn and implement technology as necessary
We’d love to hear from you.
If this sounds like the job for you, we would love to help make that happen. Please submit a resume and cover letter, outlining your interest in nonprofit recruiting to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Deputy Director” in the subject line.
Know a friend who would be a great fit? Feel free to send us their resume as well!
Is this position not the best fit for you?
For more information about Careers In Nonprofits and our other available opportunities and workshops, please visit our website at www.careersinnonprofits.com.
Due to the high volume of applications we receive, we regretfully can only respond to those candidates who best meet the requirements of a specific position or whose backgrounds are generally applicable to our client base. Please rest assured that we retain all candidate information for possible future matches, even if you do not hear from us in regard to your application in response to this fad.