Are you interested in making a difference through social justice causes? Do you excel at public speaking and organizing others to advocate for public policy reform?
We are currently in search of a Government Affairs Manager for a Social Justice Organization. The position is based in Michigan. This is a full-time, permanent opportunity.
ORGANIZATION TYPE: Social Justice
POSITION TITLE: Government Affairs Manager
Is This Your Dream Job? A social justice organization is in search of a Michigan Government Affairs Manager that will lead the legislative advocacy efforts in order to advance justice reform policy as well as develop strong partnerships with law enforcement, businesses, and community leaders across the state. This position will represent the social justice organization in the state capitol, local jurisdictions, and oversee the organization’s role with in-state advocates.
Our Ideal Candidate:
- 10+ years of experience
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent; advanced degree preferred.
- Adept in Michigan state law and the legislative structures
- Expertise in the Michigan criminal justice and public policy systems
- Has a network of government and community officials across Michigan
- Experience in public advocacy, coalition building, community outreach, and organizing community members
- Strong verbal and public speaking skills, taking complex issues and making them simple
- Comfortable with traveling around the state frequently
- Experience with Google Suite
How You Will Spend Your Day:
- Assist with managing the lobbying team by overseeing the strategy and tracking the lobbying activities
- Manage multiple advocacy projects simultaneously, while keeping track of various stakeholders
- Develop and manage coalition partners
- Cultivate and maintain strong partnerships with various law enforcement, community, and government representatives
- Research and analyze state legislation, budgets, and procedures in public policy
- Provide recommendations to the organization’s leadership and compose briefs on the research findings.
We’d love to hear from you.
If this sounds like the job for you, we would love to help make that happen. Please submit a resume and cover letter, outlining your interest in nonprofit recruiting to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Government Affairs Manager, Michigan” in the subject line.
Know a friend who would be a great fit? Feel free to send us their resume as well!
Is this position not a great fit?
For more information about Careers In Nonprofits and our other available opportunities and workshops, please visit our website at www.careersinnonprofits.com.
Due to the high volume of applications we receive, we regretfully can only respond to those candidates who best meet the requirements of a specific position or whose backgrounds are generally applicable to our client base. Please rest assured that we retain all candidate information for possible future matches, even if you do not hear from us in regard to your application in response to this ad.