Are you interested in fast-paced work that makes a meaningful difference in the financial industry?
We are currently in search of a Press Secretary for a Financial Advocacy Nonprofit. The position is based in Washington, DC. This is a full-time, permanent assignment.
ORGANIZATION TYPE: Financial Advocacy Nonprofit
LOCATION: Washington, DC
POSITION TITLE: Press Secretary
Annual Salary: $70-75k/annual
Is This Your Dream Job? The Press Secretary will be responsible for managing, maintaining, cultivating and expanding this organization’s already substantial media-related activities and initiatives. Report directly to the CEO and Director of Communications, the Press Secretary will be a part of a high-profile and highly sought-after advocacy organization. There is a lot of opportunity for growth in this position, and we are seeking a resourceful candidate with a proven track record of crafting and executing media strategies, excellent writing skills, and a top-notch understanding of the news cycle and media environment.
Our Ideal Candidate:
- 3-5 years of experience working with media
- Bachelor’s degree
- Superior organizational skills as well as ability to be flexible and adaptable
- Tech-savvy with hands-on experience with social media outlets (Cision and/or Meltwater)
- Experience with Adobe or InDesign is a plus
- Working at a nonprofit and/or working with fundraisers or development professionals also a plus
- Ability to think creatively about how to effectively engage the media, the general public, and the legislative, regulatory and policy community
How You Will Spend Your Day:
- Collaborate with Communications Director on day-to-day media developments, inquiries and outreach
- Proactively, creatively and quickly identify and respond to breaking and daily news where the organization can impact the news story, public debate, regulator deliberations and policy decisions
- Proactively pitching print, TV, radio, etc., stories, and monitoring the news as it relates to economics, finance, financial reform
- Respond to media inquiries and drafting/editing press releases, media advisories, articles, opinion pieces, newsletters and blog posts, and social media channels
- Cultivate and maintain the organization’s extensive existing media relationships while broadening and expanding them, including with digital media outlets and professionals
- Track media mentions and accomplishments and measuring the effectiveness of activities and efforts
- Maintaining and updating media distribution lists
- Assist with drafting press releases, statements and talking points
- Integrate the organization’s communications strategy across all digital platforms including website and social media accounts
- Be available after business hours as needed to keep pace with busy news cycles
We’d love to hear from you.
If this sounds like the job for you, we would love to help make that happen. Please submit a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Press Secretary” in the subject line.