We are currently in search of a Director of Development for a Community-Based Organization supporting underserved and homeless families. The position is based in San Francisco, CA.
ORGANIZATION TYPE: Community-Based Organization supporting underserved and homeless families
LOCATION: San Francisco, CA
POSITION TITLE: Director of Development
SALARY: $120K+ (commensurate with experience)
Is This Your Dream Job? Reporting to the Executive Director, you will serve as the organization’s Director of Development, possessing substantial fundraising experience, the ability to create and execute on a strategic fundraising and marketing plan, cultivate and maintain donor relationships, manage and mentor a team of four (4) direct reports, and analyze donor data. You will be a strong relationship builder and story teller with a passion and commitment to serving and positively impacting the lives of local families. As a member of the senior management team, you will also work closely with the Board of Directors, the Marketing Committee, and the Development Committee.
Our Ideal Candidate:
- 5-7+ years of fundraising/development experience
- Demonstrated success in donor cultivation, securing gifts of four- to six- figures
- Experience in building and implementing fundraising strategies
- Knowledge and ability to create work plans for a Development Team as well as manage and mentor staff
- Results-oriented and creative, solution-focused with an ability to meet fundraising goals
- Metrics-driven, flexible and open to trying various strategies, using data to inform strategic direction and decision making
- Able to see the big picture and plan long-term, but also tactical, resilient and with a positive mindset
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, collaborative in working cross-functionally and with a Board of Directors to accomplish tasks and initiatives
- Tech-savvy and competent in using a fundraising database, communications applications and related tools (Raiser’s Edge, a plus)
- Commitment to organization’s mission and value, with an understanding of diverse populations
- Knowledge of the Bay Area philanthropic community
How You Will Spend Your Day:
- Create and lead team in executing a comprehensive fundraising and marketing plan to include donor relationship strategy, multiple annual campaigns, and events
- Create and drive strategy to ensure organization meets its fundraising goal of $4M+ in contributed income annually
- Develop, implement, and oversee strategies to prospect, cultivate, solicit, and steward existing and potential donors through personal touches and visits, appeals and campaigns, and special events, as required
- In partnership with Executive Director and Development team, build relationships with individual, foundation, small business, and corporate donors
- Support and partner with the Executive Director and Board members on all major fundraising initiatives, including donor cultivation, strategy, new fundraising initiatives, and communication plan
- In collaboration with the Senior Manager of Communications & Outreach, develops a comprehensive communication plan to promote the organization
- Maximizes public awareness of organization through direct mail, website content, email, etc.
- Drive external communications work, including creation of themes and content, design, and printing, ensuring consistent messaging across the organization
- With Events Manager, develop and execute annual events and develop strategies to diversify and increase event sponsorship
- Oversees database and ensures that donor data is properly maintained in the organization’s donor database and that gifts are acknowledged in a prompt and appropriate manner
- Develops and manages annual revenue and expense budgets for the Development Department
- Approves all agency grant proposals and ensures deadlines for submissions and reports are met
- Works to promote a culture of philanthropy within the organization
- Manage development team of four (4) professionals, establishing work plans, goals, and offering mentoring
- Develops policies and procedures for the Development Department which reflect ethical fundraising best practices
We’d love to hear from you.
If this sounds like the job for you, we would love to help make that happen. Please submit your resume by clicking the “Apply” button located at the bottom of this job description.
Know a friend who would be a great fit? Feel free to send us their resume as well.
Is this position not a great fit?
For more information about Careers In Nonprofits and our other available opportunities and workshops, please visit our website at www.careersinnonprofits.com.
Due to the high volume of applications we receive, we regretfully can only respond to those candidates who best meet the requirements of a specific position or whose backgrounds are generally applicable to our client base. Please rest assured that we retain all candidate information for possible future matches, even if you do not hear from us in regard to your application in response to this ad.