Are you passionate about children’s education? Do you want to be part of a diverse, multicultural workforce? Are you an HR professional strong in both tactical job duties as well as strategic leadership?
We are currently in search of a Nonprofit Director of Human Resources for a Multicultural Independent School. The position is based in San Francisco. This is a full-time, permanent position.
ORGANIZATION TYPE: Multicultural Independent School
LOCATION: San Francisco
POSITION TITLE: Director of Human Resources
DURATION: Full-Time, Permanent
SALARY: $115,000-$140,000+/Annual plus Excellent Benefits including Medical/Dental/Vision, a 403b with 5% match, commute benefits, competitive PTO, Sick and Personal Days and Holidays
Is This Your Dream Job? The Human Resources Leader for a well-respected and established, independent school reports to the Chief Financial Officer. The Director of Human Resources will lead in all HR functions and be the primary HR point of contact for the entire school, including hiring, onboarding, benefits administration, managing workflow, employee relations to enhance culture as well as handling terminations, personnel policies, organizational rules and regulations, DE&I initiatives, overseeing payroll and management of the HRIS system. The ideal candidate will interface with all levels of faculty, staff and leadership at the school.
Our Ideal Candidate:
- 4+ years’ experience in human resources, open to learning and results-oriented
- Knowledge of Leave policies and Workers’ Compensation required
- Must be comfortable managing someone administering payroll with the ability to jump in as a backup for payroll
- Knowledge of federal, state, and local employment, wage and salary laws and regulations
- Bachelor’s degree preferred (if degree in HR or SHRM or PHR certifications, a plus but not required)
- Has managed staff before or excited to grow into doing so
- Excellent technical skills, including experience with HRIS systems, MS Office Suite
- Excellent knowledge of human resources policies and procedures
- Excellent knowledge of benefits administration, able to design, develop and implement
- Ability to work collaboratively with team as well as make informed decisions independently
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, using confidentiality, tact and diplomacy
- Hands-on work style with ability and interest in working on a high number of tactical duties, along with strategic goals and leading in staff management practices
- Calm under pressure, interested in learning and growing
- Ability to prioritize accordingly, keep organized and with a strong attention to detail
- Experience in school setting a plus, French Language skills a plus and experience with immigration matters a plus but can also be learned (SEVIS immigration platform)
How You Will Spend Your Day:
- Lead all HR functions including hiring and on-boarding, employee relations, compliance and policies, oversee payroll, benefits, HR audits and management of HRIS system
- Advise Head of School and Senior Management on HR related matters
- Work directly with department managers to advise and help them execute on personnel matters, annual reviews and appraisals
- Focus on initiatives to increase and celebrate diversity, equity and inclusion and improve overall staff culture
- Handle employee complaints, conflict resolution, processing employee terminations, etc.
- Manage Employee Wellness program and participate on committees and special projects
- Supervise HR Generalist, Receptionist and Health Aid
- Responsible for all immigration matters (visas, green cards, I-9s etc.) with ability to consult legal counsel as appropriate on personnel matters
- Approves payroll for accuracy and compliance for large staff
- Coordinate with HR Generalist regarding COBRA, EDD requests and annual filings and Healthy San Francisco City Program
- Prepare annual EEOC filing and compliance
- Manage all FMLA/CFRA, Paid Family leave and disability, sick leaves and vacation requests and administer policies
- Responsible for 403b retirement plan financial audit
- Assist the CFO in the preparation of Federal and State tax returns and annual financial audit
- Develop and maintain HR policies, handbooks and related legal documentation
- Ensure compliance with all legal requirements, employment laws, policies and procedures, and communicate any changes within organization
- Liaison with benefit providers/brokers and management of related costs and policy renewals
- Evaluate, recommend and in coordination with the HR Generalist administer all School benefits plans (medical, dental, vision, FSA/DCA, LTD, Life and other individual policies)
- Responsible for recruiting seasonally
We’d love to hear from you.
If this sounds like the job for you, we would love to help make that happen. Please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “Director of Human Resources” in the subject line.
Know a friend who would be a great fit? Feel free to send us their resume as well!
Is this position not a great fit?
For more information about Careers In Nonprofits and our other available opportunities and workshops, please visit our website at www.careersinnonprofits.com.
Careers In Nonprofits is an equal opportunity employer. Empowered by the #ILoveMyJob mission, we celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive work environment within the nonprofit sector.
Due to the high volume of applications we receive, we regretfully can only respond to those candidates who best meet the requirements of a specific position or whose backgrounds are generally applicable to our client base. Please rest assured that we retain all candidate information for possible future matches, even if you do not hear from us in regard to your application in response to this ad.