Are you a dynamic fundraising leader with a passion for democracy?
We are currently in search of a Director of Institutional Giving for a Political Nonprofit. The position is remote. This is a direct-hire position.
ORGANIZATION TYPE: Political Nonprofit
POSITION TITLE: Director of Institutional Giving
Annual Salary: Minimum 90k – based on experience
Is This Your Dream Job? This position will lead institutional fundraising efforts, meeting ambitious multi-million-dollar annual targets by stewarding existing donors, cultivating new foundation and other institutional donor grants, and leading grants management in the organization. This position will also help the Development Team continue to build a strong, inclusive culture. The development team is overseeing a multi-channel fundraising program that has grown tremendously in its first few years. This new team member will help build on this success by cultivating institutional donors – including public foundations, family foundations, and other institutional funders – who share the same values and are passionate about democracy reform, grassroots organizing, civic leadership and education, and/or progressive policy issues.
Our Ideal Candidate:
- 9 years of relevant experience, 5 years of professional fundraising experience
- Superior writing skills, with ability to quickly and professionally prepare development materials in Indivisible’s concise, straightforward voice (proposals, grant reports, updates, etc.)
- Demonstrated experience meeting ambitious annual targets in previous position(s) from institutional donors; please specify amounts raised and size of portfolio in relevant previous positions
- Strong organizational and collaboration skills, with experience setting up systems and processes to ensure robust grants management processes across teams
- Excellent verbal communication and interpersonal skills
- Commitment to collaborating with programmatic staff to understand the needs and strategy they want to resource, and comfort working at an organization with a “fundraising second approach” that seeks support only for that scope of work
- Previous experience managing a diverse team, including recruit, retain, and develop diverse talent
- Cultural humility, including the ability to build strong relationships and communicate effectively across lines of difference, as well as foster a positive and inclusive team culture
- Alignment on the core values and strategy of the organization
How You Will Spend Your Day:
- Institutional Fundraising (45%), Grants Management & Donor Stewardship (35%), Team Leadership (10%), Other (10%)
- Develop general operating support proposals as well as project-specific pitches that excite new institutional donors and secure renewals from existing donors
- Lead team in developing grant proposals for institutional donors
- Collaborate effectively with other departments on the content and needs for proposals
- Prospect, qualify, and effectively engage new institutional donors
- Lead team in providing frequent, timely email updates to donors and prospects
- Lead team in writing narrative reports, which require no to very limited revision, for all grants
- Closely track donor requirements, including reporting, compliance, financial management, and programmatic deliverables
- Communicate with finance and programmatic departments about grant budgets/budget restrictions
- Manage Foundations Senior Associate, supporting them in achieving high performance and supporting their professional development and growth; build a strong institutional giving team that collaborates closely with the major gifts and digital fundraising teams
- Support the development department to continue to build a strong, inclusive team culture
- Offer expertise and experience during critical work periods (all-hands-on-deck) to achieve organization-wide goals
- Track successes and challenges of institutional fundraising and make recommendations on how to improve its effectiveness
- Lead one-off fundraising projects related to institutional/foundation donors, including creation of the annual report
We’d love to hear from you.
If this sounds like the job for you, we would love to help make that happen. Please submit a resume to Kimmi Cantrell at firstname.lastname@example.org , with “Director of Institutional Giving” in the subject line.
Know a friend who would be a great fit? Feel free to send us their resume as well!
Is this position not a great fit?
For more information about Careers In Nonprofits and our other available opportunities and workshops, please visit our website at www.careersinnonprofits.com.
Careers In Nonprofits is an equal opportunity employer. Empowered by the #ILoveMyJob mission, we celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive work environment within the nonprofit sector.
Due to the high volume of applications we receive, we regretfully can only respond to those candidates who best meet the requirements of a specific position or whose backgrounds are generally applicable to our client base. Please rest assured that we retain all candidate information for possible future matches, even if you do not hear from us in regard to your application in response to this ad.