Do you excel at creating processes and systems?
Are you a strong leader who can balance strategic oversight with daily tasks?
Have you successfully managed accounting processes for a nonprofit?
We are currently in search of a Nonprofit Director of Accounting and Payroll for a Community Organization. The position is based in Chicago, IL. This is a full-time, permanent position.
ORGANIZATION TYPE: Community Organization
LOCATION: South Chicago
POSITION TITLE: Nonprofit Director of Accounting and Payroll
DURATION: Full-Time, Permanent
Is This Your Dream Job?
The Director of Accounting and Payroll reports to the Executive Director and manages the finances for the Organization and its properties and programs. This person handles the day-to-day accounting, as well as strategic oversight of the Organization’s financial plans. The Organization is seeking a flexible and critical thinker who has experience working with nonprofit programmatic and residential accounting.
Our Ideal Candidate:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or relevant discipline required, CPA a plus.
- 4+ years accounting experience preferred; experience working in nonprofit organization required.
- Accounting software experience required, FundEZ experience a plus.
- Knowledge of current accounting rules and regulations as they apply to nonprofit organizations.
- Experience setting and enforcing internal controls and procedures.
- Has strong interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills.
- Is highly organized, deadline-driven, and detail-oriented.
How You Will Spend Your Day:
- Complete month-end/year-end close process to deliver timely and accurate GAAP financial statements and related analysis.
- Lead, manage, and mentor Accounts Payable/Payroll and Accounts Receivable/Invoice clerks.
- Establish, maintain, and enforce appropriate internal controls & processes/procedures.
- Initiate and/or supervise all bank and general ledger account reconciliations.
- Serve as main fiscal contact for all grants (government, etc), creating and submitting timely cash reimbursement vouchers, monitoring payments and creating required ongoing financial reports.
- Assist other Directors in preparing program budgets for specific funding proposals and in monitoring financial compliance for all grants received.
- Oversee payroll processing for grant funded/property employees.
- Monitor cash flow to ensure availability of funds.
- Serve as liaison to Finance Committee; develops agendas, prepares minutes, and advises management and Board of Directors regarding financial matters.
- Assist Executive Director with development and monitoring of annual budget.
- Monitor financial performance against budget, communicating significant variances to management and facilitating steps to address these variances.
- Lead annual Audit process and liaison with contracted audit firm.
- Serve as an additional liaison with banks and lenders to ensure that financial activities and reports comply with applicable terms and conditions.
- Monitor property insurance and assure that insurance claims are filed. Address agency insurance needs; ensure proper and adequate coverage.
If this sounds like the job for you, we would love to help make that happen. Please submit your resume by clicking the “Apply” button located at the bottom of this job description.
Know a friend who would be a great fit? Feel free to send us their resume as well.
Is this position not a great fit?
For more information about Careers In Nonprofits and our other available opportunities and workshops, please visit our website at www.careersinnonprofits.com.
Due to the high volume of applications we receive, we regretfully can only respond to those candidates who best meet the requirements of a specific position or whose backgrounds are generally applicable to our client base. Please rest assured that we retain all candidate information for possible future matches, even if you do not hear from us in regard to your application in response to this ad.