Are you a multi-faceted finance and administrative professional who wants to work in a mission-driven environment?
Have you successfully managed accounting processes for a nonprofit?
Can you demonstrate your ability to analyze issues and solve problems?
We are currently in search of a Nonprofit Director of Finance and Administration for an International Organization. The position is based in Chicago, IL. This is a full-time, permanent position.
ORGANIZATION TYPE: International Organization
POSITION TITLE: Nonprofit Director of Finance and Administration
DURATION: Full-Time, Permanent
Is This Your Dream Job?
The Director of Finance and Administration reports to the Chief Financial Officer and serves as the Organization’s primary in-house accountant. This person oversees the daily operations of the accounting department and works work with other departments to create budgets and forecasts, as well as manages certain external relationships (i.e. banking, insurance, etc.). The Organization is seeking a detail-oriented candidate who understands accounting processes for a nonprofit, who enjoys being a team player, and who seeks to find answers and solve problems independently.
Our Ideal Candidate:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, business administration, or relevant discipline preferred, or combination of equivalent training and experience.
- Minimum of 6 years senior accounting/financial analysis experience preferred; experience working in nonprofit social service organization highly preferred.
- Microsoft QuickBooks experience required, additional financial software experience a plus.
- Knowledge of current accounting rules and regulations as they apply to nonprofit organizations, including monthly and annual closings.
- Has strong interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills.
- Has intercultural competence and is service-minded.
- Is highly organized and deadline-driven.
How You Will Spend Your Day:
- Serve as primary in-house accountant, working with the CFO and constituents throughout the organization to ensure that accounting records are timely, accurate and in compliance with GAAP, and processes have appropriate controls in place.
- Oversee daily operations of the accounting department to including reconciling and closing books on a monthly basis, preparing and reviewing journal entries, accounts payable/receivable, revenues and expenses, and analyzing accounts.
- Update and enforce proper accounting methods, policies and procedures.
- Ensure internal controls and segregation of duties.
- Responsible for preparation and successful completion of the annual financial audit and Form 990.
- Provide accurate and timely information for budget monitoring and progress reporting of programs and grants.
- Analyze data and prepare a full set of monthly internal financial statements in the required format and within the required time frames.
- Preparation and distribution of monthly department budget reports, answer questions about those reports.
- Assist with budgeting and forecasting of other departments.
- Work closely with the CFO on strategic financial reporting issues and analysis.
- Serve as the department’s expert on its accounting software and work with other staff to enhance their productivity in Excel.
- Manage external relationships such as banking relationships and insurance brokers, etc.
- Work with building management to accomplish such goals.
Manage all procurement activities.
- Analyze benefit offerings and comparisons
- Process semi-monthly payroll.
- Manage new hire on- boarding process.
- Ensure accuracy of PTO requests, calendar and employee logs.
If this sounds like the job for you, we would love to help make that happen. Please submit your resume by clicking the “Apply” button located at the bottom of this job description.
Know a friend who would be a great fit? Feel free to send us their resume as well.
Is this position not a great fit?
For more information about Careers In Nonprofits and our other available opportunities and workshops, please visit our website at www.careersinnonprofits.com.
Due to the high volume of applications we receive, we regretfully can only respond to those candidates who best meet the requirements of a specific position or whose backgrounds are generally applicable to our client base. Please rest assured that we retain all candidate information for possible future matches, even if you do not hear from us in regard to your application in response to this ad.